ADMISSION REQUIRMENTS AND APPLICATION PROCESS
An applicant must satisfy the minimum admission requirements of the Graduate College (see Graduate Admission Regulations in the Boise State University Graduate Catalog). Admission is competitive and the achievement of minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the program. Applicants must:
- Hold a B.A., B.F.A., or M.A. degree in visual art from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Have and maintain at least a 3.00 grade point average on a 4.00 scale.
- Have completed twelve credits of undergraduate art history prior to taking courses for graduate credit. Undergraduate coursework in modern and/or contemporary art history is highly desirable.
- Be accepted to the Boise State University Graduate College
Application to the MFA, Visual Arts degree program is a two-part process:
I. Admission to the Graduate College
Applicants are required to submit the following through the Graduate College on-line system prior to applying to the MFA, Visual Arts degree program:
- Graduate Admission Application
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals in the field
- Official transcripts
II. Admission to the MFA, Visual Art degree program
A portfolio and other required documents (including the Graduate Assistantship
application, if applicable) must be submitted at: http://boisestateart.slideroom.com
The following items are required:
- Statement of purpose
- Additional supporting statement if applying for a Graduate Assistantship
- A portfolio of Twenty (20) digital images of a recent body of work
- An artist statement that directly addresses the portfolio submitted
- A resume that includes educational background, exhibition record, awards, grants, reviews, and any other pertinent information
Create a Slideroom.com account to complete the application. The SlideRoom.com portal offers additional instructions for submitting
work. Please review it before organizing your application materials. For technical
assistance, access the help desk on the SlideRoom.com portal site.
The SlideRoom.com portal will be available October 1 through January 31 of each year for
application submission. Applications are for fall semester admission only.
There is a $20 Application Fee through Slideroom. The Graduate College application fee is $65 for residents or $95 (USD) for international students. When submitting an application, you must pay the fee as a credit card payment at the same time, or the application will not be processed.