ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATION PROCESS
An applicant must satisfy the minimum admission requirements of the Graduate College (see Graduate Admission Regulations in the Boise State University Graduate Catalog). Admission is competitive and the achievement of minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the program
- Hold an earned baccalaureate or professional degree in a relevant program from an accredited college or university by the expected date of entry.
- Have a minimum of 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) based on a 4.0 scale in all previous undergraduate work and a minimum of 3.3 cumulative GPA based on a 4.0 scale in all previous relevant graduate work.
- Possess artistic proficiency within at least one studio area to be determined by portfolio review.
- Be accepted to the Boise State University Graduate College
Application to the MA in Art Education degree program is a two-part process:
I. Admission to the Graduate College
Applicants are required to submit the following through the Graduate College on-line system prior to applying to the MA, Art Education degree program:
- Graduate Admission Application
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals in the field
- Official transcripts
II. Admission to the MA in Art Education degree program
A portfolio and other required documents (including the Graduate Assistantship
application, if applicable) must be submitted at: http://boisestateart.slideroom.com
The following items are required:
1. A statement outlining your educational and professional background, your professional objectives, and philosophy of art or art education and why you are interested in the program.
2. Additional supporting statement if applying for a Graduate Assistantship
3. Three letters of recommendation from professionals in art education or related fields that address the applicant’s experience working in art and/or educational settings and potential contribution to the field of art education.
4. A portfolio of 15 digital images of a recent body of work and an artist statement that addresses the work submitted.
5. An example of academic or professional writing.
6. Additional related work samples.
7. Evidence of any public or private teaching experiences.
8. Evidence of successful completion of basic K-12 art education methods courses; both K-8 and 6-12 or their equivalents. Deficiencies may be completed upon acceptance.
Create a Slideroom.com account to complete the application. Letters of recommendation cannot be submitted at Slideroom.com (please have letters mailed or emailed to the address below). The SlideRoom.com portal offers additional instructions for submitting work. Please review it before organizing your application materials. For technical assistance, access the help desk on the SlideRoom.com portal site.
The SlideRoom.com portal will be available July 1 through January 15 of each year for application submissions.
There is a $20 Application Fee. When submitting an application, you must pay the
application fee as a credit card payment at the same time, or the application will not be processed.