Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Advising FAQ

The difference Between a B.A. and a BFA

In some academic programs you can select between a Bachelors of Arts and a Bachelors of Fine Arts. The Bachelors of Fine Arts (BFA) is referred to as a “professional undergraduate degree” which is often offered in performance fields such as Theater and Music. Essentially the BFA requires more coursework in your area of study and specific requirements in university Core.
The National Association of Schools of Art and Design states that “the professional degree (BFA focuses on intensive work in the visual arts supported by a program of general studies….The liberal arts degree (BA) focuses on art, art history and design in the context of a broad program of general studies.”

Four Year Plans

Four-Year Plans provide a road map for completing your degree in 8 semesters. We will make every effort to assist you in this endeavor. However, many art courses fill to capacity early and you may need to enroll in core courses that break from the suggested sequence. If you are enrolled in Finish in Four consult your advisor if you are deviating from the recommended Four Year Plan. Students pursuing a B.F.A. degree in Graphic Design or B.F.A. Art Education are not eligible for the Finish in Four program. This is due to high enrollment in these areas and additional required coursework in the College of Education. For more information on eligibility requirements for Finish in Four see

Program/Degree Checklists

Degree Checklists are extremely important documents that list all classes you will need for your specific program or degree. Select the appropriate degree checklists based on which catalog year you are working from (this is also indicated at the top of your Degree Progress Report). It is strongly recommended you provide your advisor a copy of your degree checklist and regular updates.

Academic Advisement Reports (AAR)

Degree Academic Advisement Reports are available on-line through BroncoWeb and provide an updated progress report on your efforts at pursuing a degree. AARs indicate which courses you need based on the requirements for your specific program and catalog year. They also provide information on Cumulative GPA and Art G.P.A. Please regularly check your AAR for accuracy and bring a hard copy when you meet with your advisor.

What are Academic Adjustment Forms

Academic adjustment forms can be used for a variety of purposes including substitutions, waivers and transfer equivalencies. If you are pursuing one of these actions, complete the student information section on the form and have your advisor provide the explanation. Once the form is completed it bring it to the Art Office (LA252) where it will be sent on for the appropriate signatures. See your advisor and the Art Department Academic Advising Coordinators for appropriate use of the Academic Adjustment form.

Transfer Students

The Registrar is responsible for assigning credits earned from other institutions equivalent Boise State University course numbers. If it is not equivalent, those credits count as general electives. However, if you are transferring from an art school, for example, some coursework that transferred as electives may be determined equivalent by the Art Department. Be prepared to bring a copy of the course description from the catalog of your old institution, list of transfer credits and your AAR.

See your advisor and the Art Department Academic Advising Coordinators for more answers regarding transfer equivalencies. For transfer equivalencies in other departments please contact an advisor in that area. Remember you may transfer all credits from a junior or community college but only 70 credits may be used toward graduation. See:

Independent Study

Upper division students may receive credit for an Independent Study. It is a mechanism that allows students to work on a specialized project or paper that is not part of regular course content. Consult with the individual faculty with whom you wish to work. If they agree, together you should fill out an Independent Study form, available outside of the Art Office (LA252). It needs to be signed by the faculty, your advisor and the Department Chair

Study Abroad Approvals

If you are requesting art credits for courses taken abroad please consult a faculty member in that particular area. See the Art Department Academic Advising Coordinators for Study Abroad Approvals.

Internships and Approval

Our department partners with local businesses to offer a wide variety of Internships. Internships are essentially cooperative programs that provide academic credit for on the job experience. You may apply up to 12 credits of internships toward your gradation requirements. Contact John Francis, Art Department Internship Coordinator, at 208 426 3995 or for more information.

Second Bachelors (Baccalaureate) Degree

If you are seeking a Second Bachelors Degree in Art, checklists are available on our website. Please contact your advisor for evaluation of any prior art courses and how they may be applied to your degree program. With the help of your advisor you need to complete a Second Baccalaureate Degree Transfer Credit Request Form so these courses appear on your unofficial transcript and will be recognized by BroncoWeb when you register. These courses will be entered for requisite purposes only, and the credits will not show on your official transcript or appear in your cumulative totals. Also Degree Progress Reports are NOT available for second-degree seeking students.
For checklists see:
For SBD Form see: